Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week Thirteen (11/22/10 - 11/28/10)

I was not sure whether we had to post this week, so I am adding a brief comment, just to be on the safe side (I hate being an overachiever, some times).

This week, our discussion board topic was about "pulling the vision together" and noting concepts that help to form our vision of librarian utopia.  Until the moment I was made to think about what is important to me, it never occurred to me that so many concepts would come into the fold.  The first three concepts that came to my mind were students first, advocacy, and leadership through knowledge.  Of course there are many, MANY others but those three stood out to me as being the most important.  I now realize it is because all three concepts describe me. 

In my work in the disability community, I constantly stress the importance of student's first when creating IEPs or even in the classroom setting.  By putting the student first, they thrive, regardless of their ability level.  In terms of advocacy, it has been my lifes work for so long, that it is no surprise I included it as an important concept.  Leadership through knowledge is also a personal trait/motivator.  I have always been one to want to be the example for others to follow and often find myself in leadership roles (even if they do make me nuts sometimes!).  When I am in a leadership role, I find it important for me to seek out learning resources - whether they be in the form of conferences, workshops, or even online sources.  In order to be an effective leader, knowledge must always be gained. 

So all of that being said, I now find myself wondering what non-self-descriptors I would chose as concepts that help form my ;library vision.  If I do not find alternate concepts, I fear that I am stuck in a rut of past experiences and that my horizons have not been broadened by what I have learned this semester.  So I end this post, reflecting on not what currently defines me but what I hope will define my library vision in the future....

No comments:

Post a Comment