Saturday, November 6, 2010

Week Ten (11/01/10 - 11/07/10)


My how this semester is flying!  I wish I had a moment to bask in the glory of half-semester completion; but woe is me!  I have so much to do that if I bask for even a moment, I fear that I will drown....but I digress!

I was sitting here today, think about the toolbelt (or toolbox) conversation that we have been having on the discussion boards and I was suddenly struck sad at the thought of my fellow classmates not liking the idea of Diigo and that they plan on not visiting the site after the semester is finished.  Diigo isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination (hello - who is?!) but the site does promote collaboration and the exchange of information.  I think that is why I was so dismayed.  Not using the site means that both the student and myself suffers because communication comes to a grinding halt.  Trust me, I am a realist and understand that many people want an "over and done" with kind of class, but I am not one of those students and I put great value on acquiring information; especially information that I had no prior knowledge of.

I guess I feel a little like the "monkey with a toolbelt;" I want to be able to find information about almost anything and doing so with the help of classmates and friends will help this find to become a well-rounded exploration rather than one-sided.  Which brings me back to the K-12 conferences.  Whenever I feel as though I am alone (although I never truly am in LIS), I need only view new and archived conferences to get additional resources and for that I am grateful.  Do I hope my classmates will continue to add to our Diigo group long after our course has completed?  Absolutely, but if they do not, I am happy that my toolbelt (toolbox) will continue to grow because of the class resources that have been given to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment