Friday, October 8, 2010

Week Six (10/3/10 - 10/9/10) - Computerless Libraries??


I have to say that before listening to this weeks lecture that it never crossed my mind that there would be a possibility that they library I may someday work in may not have computers.  Frankly, I find the idea to be preposterous; the government should really step in an ensure that all school libraries have them.  By not having access, schools in this country are not on equal footing and we are creating a cyclical pattern of haves and have nots, which is deplorable.  Let's face it, those in wealthy neighborhoods are much more likely to have computers in their libraries (and in their classrooms & at home) than their impoverished counterparts.  Unequal access becomes more than just a digital divide; it becomes a proverbial Grand Canyon where those who lack financial means never gain enough rope to make the trek across to computer learning.

Without access to computers - in this case, at the library - student's will surely struggle with basic academic tasks.  Do I have a fool proof solution?  No, only that if my library does not have computers, I will fight like heck to get them through grants and other programs.  Do I expect this to happen overnight?  Of course not, but if it means me purchasing a PC for student use, out of my own money until I can raise the funds to bring more in, I will surely do so. 

I see the computer issue being a huge one, especially in special education classrooms.  Often times, the only recourse for classes teaching special education students how to use a computer and the Internet is visiting the library.  Special education classrooms are often the last one's to receive funding for such items, so it is imperative for the library to have the tools that the children of the school need to be successful and productive adults.  If not, I fear we will have a growing society of functioning illiterate persons who will never strive for more because they feel as though they cannot and also a society that thinks it is okay to not take care of one another - rich and poor alike - and I am not okay with that.  I will do my best (and do it now in some capacity) to assist those who need it most.  If we don't, then who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment