Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Week Nine (10/24/10 - 10/31/10)


I cannot stress enough how much of a positive impact the K12 conference site and presentations has had on me.  It is as though a new world has been opened up before my eyes; a world that prior to learning of the site, I did not see a connection to, yet it is a world that has welcomed me with open arms.

I will be the first to admit that I never knew the educational involvement SLMS had; I am a new SLMS student, after all, and I am still learning the ropes.  Yes, I knew that all librarians needs to participate in continuing education and keep informed of the latest and greatest in books and technology, but I never imagined how important collaboration between the librarian and teachers would be in the school setting and that when the collaboration was working, what incredible results would come of it.

Of course, I have heard horror stories where school librarians were seen not seen by teachers as equals in education but as inferiors who were expected to act as a sitter for students when they were dropped off in the library for study periods, but fortunately, there seem to be more positive stories of collaboration and educational partnerships.  At the end of the day, all educators - teacher or librarian - realize that the more that we know and can pass along to our students, the more that they will benefit by growing and learning.  After all, as educators, isn't that what we are supposed to do?

1 comment:

  1. I have to add that this has been a technology headache week. Websites have been down, posts disappeared, and me Internet even had a day of downtime. While all of the technology-based conferences we have been able to watch are increibly informative and helpful, it is important to keep in my that technology stumbling blocks can get in the way. While we can rely on technology to bring our global society together, we must always have a Plan B for when complications arise. aml

    ReplyDelete