Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Comment on K12 Conference - License to Cull with Creative Commons and yolink

Holy mackerel!  I have never learned more about copyright in such a short amount of time!  I just listened to "License to Cull with Creative Commons and yolink" by Karen Blumberg (under the subheading, Kicking it Up a Notch) and it was fantastic!!  I am sure I drove everyone nuts with my Diigo postings but Blumberg's links are such incredible resources, I couldn't help but pass them on to the class. 

One of the things that really got me about this presentation was Blumberg's enthusiasm about what she does.  When the presentation begins, it is clear that Blumberg loves what she does and is happy to aid the students that she works with.  As the presentation continues, Blumberg's speech becomes faster and she provides the presentation listener with so much information and beneficial tools that I couldn't help be excited with her!

Let's face it, creative commons and copyright in general can be pretty dry material.  In earlier postings, we have also discussed the ambiguity that exists in each respective area, but Blumberg's explanation and resources really helped me get a handle on what can and can't be used when creating videos and posting materials for educational use. 

I cannot express enough how great I think Blumberg did and plan on visiting her personal blog on a regular basis so I can be kept abreast of the wonderful things that she does!  I even left her a personal comment on the K12 site to let her know how great she did and I never do things like that (I am usually a chicken!).  :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words about my "License to Cull with Creative Commons and Yolink" presentation for the K12 Online Conference! I am so glad you found it useful and learned more about Creative Commons and copyright.

    I had yet another discussion with my 8th graders today about inserting a URL to point to an image (rather than dragging the image from the web to their desktop and uploading from their local drive...) Thankfully, when I called out, "What do we have to do with images we find online," they respond almost immediately with, "Cite them!" :)

    Karen Blumberg
    The School at Columbia University
    http://theschool.columbia.edu

    ReplyDelete