Thursday, September 2, 2010

First Week Reflections


The first week of the semester has been overwhelming to say the least.  Not only am I the new LIS-GSA President and have had a bevy of trainings and events to plan and participate in, this is my first semester in the SLMS program.  I was previously on an academic libraries track, having graduated with my MA in English in May 2009, so that I could learn more about research and to become a better researcher.  Somewhere along the way, my path changed entirely.  I was given the opportunity to apply to PhD school, to hopefully begin my studies next Fall after getting my MLS (Spring 2011).    I plan on focusing on library science, disability awareness, and services for patrons with disabilities.  I had no clue of what I was getting myself into!  :)

I have so much to do and frankly, I am scared to death.  Assignments, lesson plans, portfolios, observation hours - my head is swimming with all of the tasks I have to complete.  I have to learn a systematic way of completing work.  I (think I) work better under pressure.  I have to learn how to do my school work over a period of time rather than waiting until the last minute to get everything done.  I also need to work on my time management skills because once the tv is on or I am in front of a computer, hours pass as if they were seconds.  If only there were a button to make time stand still...

As if time management and a multitude of work wasn't enough, I now also need to learn about a brand new world that has its own vocabulary - competencies, AASL, L4L - I have so much to learn!!  All that being said, I know that I am in the right area of library school.  It just feels right.  Am I overwhelmed? Yes.  Am I worried about doing book talks or any sort of direct patron service?  Absolutely.  Do I worry about all of the new terminology and procedures that come with SLMS?  Of course, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I know that everything I do now will aid me in PhD school and beyond.  I also know that one day, I will be exactly where I long to be - in the college classroom, teaching new MLS (and other!) students about how to best serve patrons with disabilities and how to treat them equally and respectfully (and of course more, this is the abridged version!).

So the journey begins.  I look forward to a great semester of exploring and learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment